Director of Development - Connecticut Community FoundationCompany: Connecticut Community Foundation
Date Posted: September 30, 2017
POSITION TITLE: Director of Development
REPORTS TO: President and CEO
Established in 1923, Connecticut Community Foundation was created by and for the people of Greater Waterbury and the Litchfield Hills. While serving this 21-town region, the Foundation provides leadership in addressing the community’s critical issues, strengthens local nonprofit organizations through grants and technical assistance programs, works with individuals, families, nonprofit organizations and corporations to establish charitable funds, and administers more than 450 funds that together are a permanent resource for the benefit of the community.
Connecticut Community Foundation is looking for a skilled, dynamic and strategic development professional who will build the Foundation’s capacity to support our community by securing philanthropic support from individuals, businesses and private foundations.
As Director of Development, you will create and implement a development strategy that aims to expand the Foundation’s assets—and thus increase our impact in the community—through the creation of new charitable funds, the expansion of existing funds, and the development of future gifts through donors’ estate plans. With the development officer and the donor services officer and the support of the Board of Trustees and other volunteers, you will cultivate and steward long-term relationships with donors and potential donors based on a clear understanding of their philanthropic interests, passions and values. In addition to major and planned gift development, you will encourage community members to make gifts to support grantmaking in targeted issue areas. You will also manage special events, support the Foundation’s annual Give Local Greater Waterbury and Litchfield Hills giving day, and oversee and help to coordinate the activities of two giving circles.
What You Will Do:
As Director of Development, you will report to the President and CEO and be a member of the management team. You will be responsible for the following:
- Crafting and implementing a comprehensive development strategy that envisions expanding the Foundation’s assets and impact through major gifts to new and existing funds, estate and other deferred gifts, and annual gifts to fields of interest and giving circles.
- Managing a broad portfolio of donors, prospective donors and professional advisors through the cycle of development: identification, research, qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
- Providing support to trustees, volunteers, staff and leadership to enable them to contribute effectively to development efforts.
- Supervising the development officer and donor services officer.
- Overseeing cultivation and recognition events.
- Managing the development budget and oversee reporting and record keeping activities.
- Collaborating closely with communications staff to ensure effective communications with and outreach to donors and prospective donors.
- Other duties as assigned.
Who We Are Looking For
We’re looking for a team player with:
- A commitment to the community;
- A passion for helping generous people make their charitable visions reality;
- A commitment to community impact;
- A willingness to learn new skills;
- A preference for working collaboratively to achieve shared goals and enhance programs and services;
- An inclusive, collaborative and inspiring leadership style;
- A belief in the value that diversity, equity and inclusion brings to the workplace;
- An energetic, positive and flexible attitude;
- Demonstrated qualities of integrity and discretion; and
- A commitment to excellence and continuous improvement.
The Experience We Are Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Minimum of seven years of experience in major donor and/or planned gift cultivation, or equivalent related experience (e.g. charitable/estate planning)
- A track record of building donor relationships and securing major or planned/estate gifts
- Experience with philanthropy in estate planning
- Experience with direct mail, online fundraising and special events a plus
- Strong strategic planning and project management experience
- Ability to self-manage and work independently, but also collaboratively
The Knowledge and Skills You’ll Need
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including talent for written and oral presentation
- Ability to embrace and articulate the Foundation’s mission and vision
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, open and collaborative environment
- A strong desire to help build rewarding lives and thriving communities throughout our 21-town region.
- Ability to work effectively with staff and volunteers on multiple tasks while maintaining close attention to detail
- Knowledge of communities in Greater Waterbury and the Litchfield Hills a plus
- Community foundation experience a plus
- Excellent computer skills, including experience with one or more donor databases
What We Offer
- Competitive salary and benefits
- A team-oriented work environment
- Opportunities to build skills, make creative contributions and develop professionally.
To apply, send a cover letter and résumé to Barbara Ryer, Director of Finance and Administration, at firstname.lastname@example.org.