Director of Development - CAPACompany: Connecticut Association for the Performing Arts (CAPA)
Date Posted: October 3, 2017
The Shubert Theatre is a 1600 seat performing arts center presenting 150+ performances annually including: Broadway, music, dance, family, community shows and summer outdoor concerts. The Shubert Theatre in New Haven is part of CAPA, a not-for-profit based in Columbus, OH, and the Director of Development will work with the senior management team in New Haven, as well as with the corporate office in Columbus. Direct Reports include the Development Coordinator.
- Prospecting and sales for performance, educational and institutional sponsorship programs, and the execution of sponsorship benefits.
- Plans, oversees, and executes the Annual Appeal, a year-round annual giving program. Responsibilities for Annual Appeal include goal-setting, solicitation plans, board involvement, key calls, materials generation and supporting services such as mailings and tele-funding.
- Plans and executes sales for the Shubert Corporate Club, including prospecting, materials and proposal generation and sales calls.
- Serves as an ambassador for all Development programs, particularly through Advancement activities associated with opening nights and the Shubert Corporate Suite.
- Provides ongoing stewardship to all corporate, foundation and individual donors, from prospecting and initial engagement through follow up and ongoing relations.
- Works with Grant Manager to provide local management of grant proposals and reports for Connecticut operations.
- Plans and manages galas and benefit events.
- Works with Director of Education & Outreach as appropriate on CAPA/Shubert community outreach programs.
- Supervises the budget for the Development Department.
- Serves as an ambassador for CAPA Connecticut/Shubert at community functions, receptions, meetings and performances.
- Works closely with Executive, Operations, Communications, Marketing and Ticket/Box Office departments in planning and coordinating related activities. Development Department responsibilities include development of program benefits, marketing the programs within development publications, maintenance of membership records and renewals.
- With the Vice President and Executive Director, manages the activities of the CAPA Connecticut Board of Directors, including board communications, meeting scheduling and maintenance of the Board minutes.
- Provides management and staffing of the CAPA Connecticut Board Development Committee, including scheduling and staffing meetings, following up with members on committee assignments and providing necessary reports.
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree preferred or combination of education with equivalent years of work experience
- 6-8 years of proven, hands-on experience managing development efforts generating at least $2M annually and experience in the following areas:
- Working directly with Board committees
- Soliciting and closing major gifts ($10,000+) from individuals and businesses
- Designing and overseeing annual fund campaigns
- Planned giving and capital campaigns
- Proficiency in computers and experience with fund raising databases is required.
- Creative thinking for problem solving, the ability to prioritize urgent or last minute requests, and a willingness to assist when the need arises
- Excellent organizational, written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to interface with all levels of management
- Working knowledge of brand sponsorship opportunities