EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR - Liberty Community ServicesCompany: Liberty Community Services
Date Posted: April 19, 2017
Based in New Haven, CT
Management Recruiters - Mid Hudson Valley is an executive search firm focused solely in serving the nonprofit sector. We have a national practice and the large majority of our placements are executive leadership and senior fundraising professionals.
Our client is Liberty Community Services (Liberty – www.libertycs.org).
Liberty Community Services’ mission is to end homelessness in Greater New Haven. Liberty was founded by volunteers in 1987 as Connecticut AIDS Residence Program (CARP) to house individuals with AIDS who had been isolated from society. Liberty’s mission has evolved and is now directed at supporting people who are homeless (with a special focus on chronic homelessness) or at risk of homelessness for multiple reasons. Liberty offers permanent housing to approximately 200 individuals and support services including case management, HIV outreach, day program, and a free breakfast program.
Liberty has engaged us to recruit and place an experienced, skilled Executive Director with them.
The Executive Director is the key management leader of Liberty Community Services, Inc. The Executive Director works with the Board of Directors and Liberty Directors to ensure implementation of the organization’s mission and goals. Primary job responsibilities include overseeing the administration, programs and strategic planning for the organization. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing and community outreach. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
- Continuously monitor the mission, vision, and strategies of the organization and modify as needed.
- Design and implement strategies to meet the organization mission and vision.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information for the Board to function properly and to make informative decisions.
- Oversee the development of organizational Policies and Procedures in conjunction with the organization staff and Board of Directors.
- Engage the Board around Liberty’s mission and work with them to involve them in Liberty’s programs.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure Liberty can successfully fulfill its mission into the future.
- Responsible for enhancing Liberty’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working in conjunction with other professional, civic and private organizations.
- Accountable for the fiscal integrity of Liberty Community Services. With the Controller, develop and administer the organization budget for approval and oversight of the Board of Directors.
- Oversee the administration of all personnel matters, including the hiring & development of staff, staff evaluations and salary administration.
- With management staff, assure compliance with funder requirements on all federal, state and local laws and regulations. Seek assistance of outside legal counsel when needed.
- Assure that long-term debt obligations can be met and that any financing that is needed is appropriate and approved by the Board of Directors
- Ensure creation of annual fundraising goals and ensure implementation of the fundraising plan.
- With Director of Property Management, ensure that buildings are maintained, repaired and that any renovation projects are managed efficiently.
- With Program staff, create new programs as well as assess, expand and redesign, where appropriate, existing programs.
- Oversee quality assurance for programs and meet regularly with Program Directors to assess issues, concerns with programs.
- Oversee all communication & advocacy efforts and development of effective communication methods.
- Oversee organization media contacts.
- Oversee the administration of all personnel matters, including the hiring and development of staff, staff evaluations and salary administration.
- Facilitate Board meetings and Board Committees (as needed) and manage Board relations.
- With advocacy groups and coalitions, pursue a legislative agenda to meet Liberty and Liberty’s client needs for government support. Establish relationships with New Haven and other key legislative leaders.
- Write grants to create new programing. Edit and approve grant applications.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 7 years professional experience in a leadership capacity.
- A strong track record in training and supervising management staff.
- Knowledge of financial management to allocate resources, prepare budgets, analyze financial data and project fundraising income.
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations.
- Positive attitude and ability to inspire confidence in your team and organization supporters.
- Experience in leading volunteers.
- Ability to work effectively within a high energy environment; requires excellent organizational skills, time management efficiency, and careful attention to detail.
- Effective and compelling written and oral communication skills. Grant writing experience. HUD grant experience a plus.
- Proven ability to juggle multiple priorities and move quickly from one project to another while maintaining overall perspective.
This is a full-time salaried position. Liberty offers a competitive salary, as well as a comprehensive benefits package.
If you are interested in this excellent career opportunity, please email your resume and cover letter (Word documents only, please) to:
Owner / Manager
Management Recruiters – Mid Hudson Valley
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone – 845-227-3161