Chief Development Officer-YMCACompany: YMCA of Greater Hartford
Date Posted: May 5, 2017
YMCA of Greater Hartford is seeking applications and nominations for their next Chief Development Officer.
Since its founding in 1852, the YMCA of Greater Hartford has a long and proud history of working with communities and has played an important role in the lives of people throughout the greater Hartford area. The organization is open to all and committed to helping people develop their fullest potential in spirit, mind and body. This commitment is reinforced by the belief in living out universal values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility. Its vision is three-fold:
- To put a caring adult in the presence of every child.
- To be good stewards of the resources entrusted to them.
- To work in partnership with others to eliminate the disparities in health and education.
Today’s YMCA is made up of The Greater Hartford YMCA and The Hartford County YMCA, which merged in 1972. It currently has 10 branches and two resident camps providing more than 100 programs and services in Hartford, Tolland and Windham counties.
In 2016, The YMCA of Greater Hartford served over 118,000 children and families; including 66,000 children, in personal development and educational programs.
- Is the largest provider of quality child care in Connecticut (serving over 2,600 children) and the largest provider of day and residential camping in the Capital Region (with over 10,000 children participating each summer).
- Teaches the holistic values of sport through year-round, non-competitive, character-building youth sports programs with over 5,000 participants annually.
- Improves the health of more than 25,000 people of all ages through health and wellness education.
- Addresses the link between obesity and unhealthy lifestyles with cardiovascular disease, stroke, juvenile diabetes, high blood pressure, and cholesterol now present more often in children.
- Provides aquatics programming to more than 3,000 individuals.
For more information on the http://www.ghymca.org
About the Opportunity
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Development Officer (CDO) will manage a team of 4 and is responsible for the development and implementation of the YMCA of Greater Hartford’s fundraising strategies and initiatives which include capital campaign, major gifts, events, grants and endowment development. A skilled relationship builder, this person will strengthen and professionalize a fundraising department currently raising $1.7m a year. Working closely with the Association Board and volunteers, and supporting the President/CEO’s fund development efforts, the CDO will give direction, support and training to branches related to their development efforts and provide leadership and oversight to the development team.
- As a member of the senior management team, create the plan, strategy, policies and procedures to systematically increase fundraising revenue to support the organization.
- Serve as a key strategist and member of the organization’s senior leadership team.
- Lead brand awareness marketing efforts, create opportunities to increase visibility and develop communication materials.
- Manage a team of 4 including a Director of Development, Grant Writer, Grant Administrator, and Business Manager
- Work closely with development staff and senior leadership to analyze development plan results and proactively develop strategies to address areas where goals are not being met.
- Provide training to senior leaders and volunteers on identification, cultivation and solicitation of major gift prospects.
- Work with senior leadership to set strategy and revenue goals for organizational wide fundraising efforts.
- Personally, cultivate and steward a portfolio of 50+ major donor prospects.
- Work closely with CEO and volunteers to identify and prioritize capital campaign needs and take a lead role in planning and implementing a capital campaign for the Association.
- 10+ years of fundraising experience with 5 years of experience leading a fundraising department at an organization of similar size and scope.
- Experience managing a portfolio of major gift donors and success in closing major gifts.
- Leadership experience in a successful capital campaign.
- Familiarity with Hartford market a plus and passion for the mission of the YMCA and the ability to effectively serve as an ambassador for the organization.
Please email your cover letter and resume in confidence to: firstname.lastname@example.org